Sunday, May 29, 2005

CAPSULE HOTELS IN JAPAN

A friend from Assam, India, likes to stay in capsule hotels whenever he goes on business.

I have always avoided these places... believing that they are a little too sleazy for my taste...

For one thing, I like to sleep and do not take it kindly when disturbed while in dreamland.

Furthermore, I value my privacy while I sleep.

Plus, my snoring would disturb other people.

Next week, I shall be heading to Tokyo University for the first time since February 1990, when I sat for (and failed) the entrance exam for the doctorate course.

I shall be there to attend a seminar on the Japanese policy towards foreign students.

Not expecting too much of a change from the status quo, but let's see...

Meanwhile, I thought, why not take this opportunity to experience how it is like to stay in a capsule hotel?

See picture here.

The 'rooms' resemble honeycombs; compartments large enough to just accommodate a human body.

They have private mini televisions attached on the ceiling and of course, reading lights.

Guests share bathrooms and toilets.

There is a large common-use Jacuzzi as well as a sauna facility.

The restaurant is opened 24 hours.

I have just requested a room, I mean, a capsule, at 'Dandy' near Ueno station.

It is strictly a men's joint and it costs 3900 yen (about 140 ringgit) for a night, no meals... only sleeping, Jacuzzi-ing and sauna-ing...

Looking forward to this experience...

12 comments:

  1. Just reading it makes me suffocating because I hate small spaces. Looking at it makes me want to faint liao. Reminds me of an MRI chamber (those machines use in hospital to scan sick people?) Hahahaha, I hope I don't give you a lousy feeling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lilian.. actually ah you are quite right on the MRI thingy... also, I hope I will not bang my head accidentally on the low ceiling when I wake up to shee-sheee in the middle of the night... but no lousy feeling one... in fact, quite excited to try this honeycomb out leh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like mircowave oven door from the photo. Anyway enjoy your sleep, if cannot sleep can go to the 24hrs restaurant to eat or jacuzzi.:}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr Quah... yeap, a huge micro oven indeed... actually, my missus advised me last night to cancel the 'room'... too risky, she says... hmmmm, have to think what to do now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5/30/2005

    It does look small. Too small for two people to get in and try for an orgasm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey viewtru... you had me laughing here... I think no women will dare to step into the capsule hotel for men... I'm afraid to imagine the 'consequences'... nevertheless, there are some capsule hotels specifically for women only...

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I can sleep like a log on the Malaysian sleeper trains, I think I can sleep in these hotels. Do they call them rooms or capsules or chambers? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. yea. i am quite surprise that it is so expensive to sleep inside the capsule aka coffin hotel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5/31/2005

    I had to do a MRI onces. The attending nurse went thru the normal paperwork procedure (to cover their ass from being sued) and the last question was ..."Are you claustrophobic?." I said "Yes." She gave me a Oh...Oh.. look. But she talked me into it and sorry to tell you, it was not a good experience. Mind you, it was only for ~<20 mins. Yours will be "All night long"...ewh.....better listen to your boss.....I mean your missus.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adam... tried taking the night train to Chumphon (South Thailand) from Alor Star... could not sleep becos afraid of missing the stop... quite comfy... also witnessed a mat salleh kepo-ing with a woman in the berth on the other side of the aisle... oh yeap, 'capsules' they are called...

    Patrick... it is about the same price as a bed in a youth hostel... at least in the youth hostel, you share a room with about 7 guests, but in the 'coffin hotel', you share a big room with tens and tens of snorers...

    AK... I once did a CT scan... maybe quite similar format as the MRI.. I felt quite comfortable then (must be the soothing words from the attendant nurse)... about listening to my 'boss', you hit the bull's eye, man... report coming up in the next post...

    ReplyDelete
  11. It will be a good life exprience anyway. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Low... yeap, hopefully it will be something worthwhile to write about as well...

    ReplyDelete