Sunday, March 17, 2013

Japanese Four-lined Snake, or Japanese Striped Snake

Was inspecting my garden one day when I saw this snake creeping out...
It moved very slowly...
So slow that I had more than enough time to go inside the house to get my camera...
The Japanese Four-lined Ratsnake, or Japanese Striped Snake (shimahebi) is native to Japan and is non-poisonous. 
It supposedly feeds on frogs, lizards, insects, rodents, and even small birds and their eggs.
This one was a little over one meter...
Looking at its slightly bulging stomach area, I imagined it must have swallowed a mole as we do have moles frequently digging in our garden...
That afternoon, my missus saw a Japanese black kite perched on one of our wood shacks, clearly eating a snake, she said...
And I stumbled upon this half-eaten specimen near that same spot the next morning...

First time for me to see a happening in our garden....