Saturday, February 12, 2011

New toy: Axe and wood chopper...

Through this neighbor friend (called K) of mine, I continue to strengthen my 'arsenel'...
Before purchasing, he encouraged me to try out several makes of axes...
And hands down, Gransfors Bruks' "Splitting Maul" it was...
This axe not only feels solid, it is also a piece of very handsome art...

Had not heard of this Swedish outfit before...
Up to this time, the only Swedish connection I had was a pen-friend in the early 1970s... and, no email or internet at that time...
Lisbeth Backlund... if you happen to come across this post, please throw me a line!

Looked up the company homepage...
Was surprised to learn what a fine outfit this family-owned company is...
They have only 24 employees, plus another 20 in South Carolina, US...
One of their catch-phrases is 'A craftsman behind each axe'...
Imprinted beside the Crown is the initial, DG...

Also bought a wood cutter...
This one comes with a jacket and is made in Kochi Prefecture, which is also in the the island of Shikoku...
Similarly imprinted on the blade is the name of the iron smith...
'Yoshi-michi', says my missus...

(Picture sourced from company homepage)

Gransfors Bruks brings it one step further...
From its homepage, we can find out exactly who this 'DG' is...
'Daniel Grantz' seems to be they guy at the back row with the checkered shirt, looking sideways...
I feel happy to be able to know exactly, the craftsman who chiselled the axe I just bought...

Ok... it snowed yesterday and today, it snowed even more...
My Grasshopper is not spared of the snow....

In the warm confines of our wood stove, my partner conjures up another lovely noodle concoction...
I put some homemade 'kimchi daikon' (the reddish 'sticks') in there and oohlaaa...

20 comments:

  1. It's fascinating that you were able to find the name of the craftsman who made your axe. It's also interesting that this is such a small company.
    Your noodle dish looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. George... fascinating, indeed... would even like to send him a thank you note for doing such a great job...yeap, the noodle dish was delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A craftsman behind each axe means high quality and must not come cheap, right Lrong? ;)

    Yummy noodle. I'm drooling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lina... you are quite right about the axe... it is really very beautifully made, just like a piece of art and on top of that, it has high practical value...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to scout for the brand but too bad is not available in my district ..wonder it ok to buy online.. yeh its a beautiful pc of tool.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. It must be really satisfying and you are probably on cloud nine with your new toy! Think about all the things that can be done with it! I feel the same thing with any new kitchen toy! He! He! Just as computer and technology that constantly needed to be upgraded, the same goes with our gadgets too, no matter in the DIY or in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's nothing like well-crafted tools. Those are beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  7. KF... absolutely on cloud nine... used them for the first time last weekend and was not disappointed...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lrong,

    Like your blog too.

    And finally I know where to get the axe I want!

    HS Wong
    DQ Farm

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello HS Wong... thanks very much for dropping by... I can affirm that the axe is an excellent tool to have...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous2/15/2011

    You and Rainfield both have new toys! This one will help keeping you in shape :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Icy BC... intend to keep in shape if possible...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous2/23/2011

    That is one fine looking axe...shouldn't have any trouble chopping wood with that! I first began chopping wood when I was around 9...don't know how I did it but I could split some pretty hefty pieces of wood. Your meal is delicious looking...do I see tofu...one of my favorite foods...but one I haven't had in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Theanne... yeap, it chops really well... wow, 9 years old? I did chopped wood when I was a little boy bI can't recall how old I was... and tofu, I love this stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are toys that only belonged to an adult.

    But I have my playground at Cerok Tokun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. rainfield61... plus, very time and energy consuming toys, they are...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your wood cutter, and I am sure, it will be use well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ellada... yeap, every weekend, I am using it to chop wood and it feels very good...

    ReplyDelete