Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Paddy harvesting and tractors in the fields...

Our last vacation back in Malaysia went by rather uneventfully...
Which was a good thing...
We did all the 'standard' things we had wanted to do...
Scuba diving (at Tioman, more later), eat ourselves silly, meet friends,etc...


Mee Abu... again??
Yes, again...
We normally have a plate of mee rebus, and then we share one goreng...
This time, koay teow and mee hoon goreng it was...
As I look at this picture, I want to fly back to Alor Star again... now...
Actually gained 1.5 kilograms after the trip...arrggghh...

My youngest brother owns two combine harvesters...
And he plants a couple of longan trees in his garden...
The fruits are a little small compared to the commercial ones, but they are juicy and sweet...
But taken too much at one go, you will probably end up with a sore throat...

This is one one his combined harvesters...
I just love this kind of scenes...
And we were lucky to be back during the harvesting season...
While growing up, I had my fair share of helping out in the paddy fields...
No such machines then... and naturally, we had to harvest the paddy by hand...

The combine harvester loading the harvest right into a truck...
Back in the old days, we had to put the harvest into gunny sacks...
And transportation was manual, be it by man or buffalo...

Sometimes these guys work until almost midnight...
My brother would be with them, buying them food and drinks...
I wouldn't be able to heck it... oh no, not until midnight...


There was a lot of rain, too...
Days after the harvests, it was time to till the soil...
I watched with interest, as four tractors did their stuff on the fields...
Again, in the old days, we had our buffaloes...

There was a large flock of white cranes, coming in to look for a meal or two...
Too bad, I only had my mini-mini camera with me...

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10/12/2010

    I just visited Akagi in Gunma-ken. When I saw stretches and rows of veggie plots and paddy fields, it's like emptying my mind of all the city trash. How simple the life of the people there is. No big supermarket around. No problem for the greens but I wonder how they get their fish and meat. There were lots of "inago" (I think), though. Eeeek!
    (Alice)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, Akagi... sounds like my kind of place... I tried eating inago once while in Nagano... crunchy like a shrimp, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i had longans too at my alor star childhood home - most of them went to some creature of the night

    ReplyDelete
  4. if you mean bats, yes, my brother had the trees fully covered with nets... still, some managed to creep in...

    ReplyDelete