Sunday, October 31, 2010

Gentle rains at October end...

The first cold wave of the season hit us last Tuesday...
Temperatures dropped to about 8 degrees in the mornings...
Yours truly had to grab that long johns to keep the cold at bay...
This weekend showed a return to warmer temperatures...
It rained on Saturday morning, giving me a good opportunity to clean up the store room...
In the afternoon, I turned to doing woodwork...
More precisely, I made some borders from wood for the vegetable beds...
Saturday the 30th of October also marked the first appearance of our favorite bird, the so-called 'Daurian Redstart'...
We are more comfortable with the Japanese name of 'jobi taki'...
This little pretty bird is super friendly and it sometimes comes close to me while I am working in the garden...
Close, as in about two meters or so... 
Sunday morning was spent in the potager...
But rained caught us up at about noon and I turned my attention to working on wood again...
Under a shed, I tried my hand in making a trap for the animal pests that come to our potager...
Stray cats in particular, and perhaps racoons?
The rains continued to fall until the night...
Gentle rains, that is, and for sure, my plants are very happy...

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11/02/2010

    A healthy hobby that will lead to a looooooong good life!
    (Alice)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely article, but I'm not so in to rain.... I like sunny days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alice... am planning to aim for 100... haaah... got to eat more natto and seaweed...

    Claire... sunny days I like too... rainy days are equally lovely, I think...

    ReplyDelete