Thursday, June 23, 2005

OUT OF THAT PIGEON HOLE (1)

Mama22beas commented that Japan is nice for traveling if not for its high costs.

True, true... for living as well...

Here, I consider myself extremely lucky in that both my missus and I are not spendthrifts.

Simplicity is our guideline...

We don’t play golf...

We don’t go to the races...

We don't puff...

But we drink... bit-bit only lah for 'kampai' and for health...

After living here for a while, we have learned to live within our means.

For example, we can enjoy sea bream fish head curries at extremely low prices.

Home cooked, of course...

The supermarkets slice off the meaty parts of the fish for sashimi, and sell off the fish heads and bony parts for cheap.

Cooked with Cap Tarbus Kari Ikan powder, they are one of our all time favorite dishes.

Received a notice the other day to vacate the government-owned forty-year old 'apato' (apartment) that we have been occupying for the last 9 years.

The reason... the government needs to tear down these old barrack-like buildings to build new ones.

We have one and half years to look for our next home.

When we first moved in, my missus sat on a chair...

Blank-faced, she shook her head slowly... disbelieving...

I am not sure if I want to stay here, she said...

We have a dear friend at Damansara Jaya.

Their linked two-story terrace house has a lounge the size of our whole apartment.

Imagine, that lounge space sliced into three multi-purpose rooms, a kitchen, toilet and bath, plus a narrow verandah to hang the clothes.

'Multi-purpose' as in bedroom, dining hall, exercise room, study room...

A friend lives in a 500-year-old cottage in UK...

He asked to visit us some time ago.

I tried to find excuses to dissuade him.

But I could not make a devil out of myself even if I tried to.

So he came...

He must have been surprised to no end...

The kitchen and dining area is in the same location as the toilet...

Imagine having your meals and someone goes into the toilet... puuurraraaaaatttt...

See here for Part 2...