Friday, February 16, 2007

DIFFERENT SHOES, DIFFERENT DREAMS...

As surely as I hit the sh*t-pot every morning, 'wonderful' news from our lovely country Malaysia continues to hit the headlines...

An average of 85.37% of projects given to bumiputra contractors had "flowed" to those of other communities, a Works Ministry survey done last year showed.
Interpret it the way you like, folks...

A goondoo buddy of mine who had stayed in Manila for an extended period of time, once commented...

The Filipinos start celebrating Christmas from the first 'ber' month... and continue jollying till the last of the 'ber' month...
Received on 30th January 2007 an email from a stranger, a fellow bolehlander no doubt, inviting me to join him to celebrate bolehland's 50th year of independence...

I am pretty sure bradder Din would not mind me unilaterally reproducing his email, in verbatim of course...

Hi Lim,
I'm kicking off Merdeka celebration early this year.
This year Malaysia will celebrate its 50th year of independence.
As part of this important milestone and in the good spirit of globalisation, I am bringing m50 - an avenue on cyberspace to bring together as many Malaysians abroad to share their wishes, aspiration and love for Malaysia.
Forward it to as many Malaysian from as many countries, and please come again regularly to see the updates. www.serigala-london.net/m50/home.php
Jauh di mata, dekat di hati.
Din
London

Meanwhile, at just about the same time, my goondoo buddies and me were having this cute little email conversation... again reproduced (with permission of course!) in verbatim...

Merm: The Merm recently watched the expiration countdown on his Bolehland passport. It was a bittersweet moment. That ended my direct connection with the Bolehland, and in a few months, my last two brothers will migrate to Aussie-land. Since my dad's siblings and their families migrated over twenty years ago, that pretty much wraps up the YYY clan's 300 plus year "pit-stop" in the Bolehland. The shame is that not only is there not a bit of regret, but rather, a collective sigh of relief that we all got out while we could.

Sua: Congratulations Merm and your clan's 300-year soujourn! I was the first CP to cut the umbilical cord with Bolehland in 1994. I've never looked back even as my parents and one sister still live in Malaysia (one sis is in the UK). After 20 years, I still feel the vibe of LA as my home.

Merm: Why, thank you AhSua. Since the day I joined QQ (KmiJ: a major, major company in that little red dot down there...) many moons ago, I have never looked back. My emotional ties with Bolehland ended back in 1978 when I was told "we don't take Chinese..." at my RMAF pilot trainee interview. I knew there and then, that I would rather be a second class citizen in the country of my choice, than be a second class citizen in the country of my birth.

Sua: You're quite a poet and I'll quote you from now on about being a "second class citizen in country of choice versus second class citizen in country of birth" Wow! Dunno how you can consider being second class in US? I think most of us live first class lives in the US!

Hmmm... can't help noticing how contrasting the contents, feelings... are...

Different shoes, different dreams...

Meanwhile I really would like to join the merdeka huha...

but, porgib me, brader Din, for I think I shall celebrate the occasion in my own style... quietly and peacefully, that is... still, it is a bit too far...

anyway, rest assured braddaa, Jauh di mata, dekat di hati forever I shall be...

No comments:

Post a Comment