Monday, August 13, 2007

Kanazawa... a world of 'wabi' and 'sabi'


Had an opportunity to visit Kanazawa for the first time...
This is a city of samurais where much cultural artifacts from that era has been meticulously maintained...
The above picture shows one of the row of tea houses of old, where such men of power had probably spent many a day (or rather night) of 'pleasure' in...


Kanazawa's claim to fame these days, however, lie in the Kenrokuen... one of the so-called top three Japanese gardens in all Japan...
This above rendition marks the stone lantern that doubles as the unmistakable symbol of the garden...


Before venturing into the garden, I had little expectations of being impressed...
But there I was, snapping and snapping at the fabulous stone lanterns of various shapes and sizes... woooh, impressed I was?
This lovely lantern stood at the foot of a fallen 'aka-matsu' (red pine) tree...
I stood there, almost in awe(?)... admiring its reflection on the water amidst the gentle ripples...


This huge lantern found its place beside a wasabi pond...
I took time off to suck in the air while soaking in the scene...


And finally, a lantern by a restaurant at a large pond side...
I wouldn't mind at all to have one of these features in my home... no?

2 comments:

  1. Those pics are indeed so inviting and green and calming. Very nice. Almost made me want to make a return visit to Kanazawa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lina... yes indeed... of the many places in Japan, I think Kanazawa has a peculiar charm that others do not have... I'd happily return for a second visit if a chance comes around...

    ReplyDelete