Friday, March 02, 2012

The joys of singing... err, I mean, croaking, again...

For the better part of this winter season, been driving my grasshopper to work...

My excuses?

1. Workload is getting big, so I need to utilize as much time as I can get to do the work

2. The cold is getting to me

3. On the return trip home, I need to pick up some reusable wood from the stone masons' factories...

Yours truly, on the left side...

With so much driving, and nothing much else to do while driving, I said to myself one day, why not do some 'yelling'?

And so, I found myself 're-discovering' an old past-time...
Soon, I was croaking and croaking away...
And it feels good... very good, I must say...

And here, on the right side...

Actually, I love singing... I do...
This is not to say that I am good at it... ;)
I just love to sing... to myself, that is...

And if you are in Japan, chances are, you will probably go karaoke-ing...
As I did when I was younger...
The highlight of my 'singing' was when two of my best friends (both Japanese guys) paired up with me to sing a number called 長崎は今日も雨だった literally, 'It rained again in Nagasaki today'...

Never mind the date in the two photos above... I remain indebted to the individual who bothered to take those pictures and handed them to me...

The performance was actually in December of 1994, in Nagoya, in an event called 留学生の夕べ or 'Foreign Students' Evening'...

The following March (of 1995), my dad passed away suddenly while I was skiing (more like, falling down the slopes) at the mountains in Gifu Prefecture...

The shock from his passing lingered on for an extended period of time... I found myself talking more softly while the thought of karaoke-ing simply disappeared...

Now, almost two decades after the passing of my dad, and also the demise of my mum two years ago, I am  're-discovering' the urge to croak again...

So, if you hear someone near you, humming out of tune, please say hello... :)

Meantime, I derive pleasure to share the two images above, images that remind me of my two minutes of fame on stage...