Saturday, December 03, 2011

Woodstove in action...

Throughout my 20 over years of residing in Japan, I have never been really fond of the winters...
Too cold for me... and I get cold rashes sometimes... 
For some 'wintry' folks, the winters here may be considered 'mild', with the temperatures just hitting zero in the coldest times...
Still, as in the last winter, it could go down to minus four or five...
Till we installed the wood stove, that is...
Thanks to this stove, winters are more 'fun' now...

We started putting on our woodstove a few days ago...
My suweeto haato is becoming quite an expert in handling the stove...
The flame was burning really well as can be seen in the picture above...

While my missus specializes in handling (starting the flame, maintaining it, cleaning the glass, the ash, etc) the stove, the responsibility of yours truly is in securing the firewood...
Sometimes I fell trees, other times, I get the cut logs from someone who just wanted to get rid of them...  
These were cut and piled up to dry from last February...
It takes about a year to have the logs dried up...
And for wood that are not split, the time needed to dry them is even longer because moisture in the wood finds it harder to escape through the bark...
Wood that are split, dries faster...
And we can literally hear the 'pichi-pichi' sound that the wood constantly emits as it dries...